I love my town Indy. Watching the transformation from sleepy Naptown, when I worked downtown in 1971, to the dynamic international city Indianapolis is today—has been breathtaking.
Indianapolis has ten fun things to do every day let alone the entire summer. So how can I possibly narrow it to ten for the summer? I can’t. All I can do is list ten of my favorites. The top ten everyone should attend at least once in their life.
10. Visit the downtown Indy Cultural Districts. For my money, you can’t beat the canal. Whether you walk, jog, bike, or paddle boat it’s always fresh and fun.
9. Attend an Indianapolis Indians game. This stadium is amazing. It’s been voted the best minor league stadium in America more than once. Whether you sit in the grandstands or the outfield, you’ll have a great time and want to return.
8. Enjoy a film with your family at the Indianapolis Museum of Art Summer Nights at the Movies series. What could be better than a warm summer night on the grounds of IMA watching a classic film under the stars?
7. Visit the Orangutan exhibit at the Indianapolis Zoo. These close relatives of man are anything but predictable. Go, you’ll have a great time. Behind the Scenes Indianapolis Zoo Orangutan Exhibit
6. Listen to the Symphony on the Prairie. I love packing a lawn chair, a few snacks, and a bottle wine for a night of wonder.
5. Go Ape! At Eagle Creek Park The truth is I haven’t gone ape yet. The zip lines hang over trails I’ve hiked for more than 20 years and, at first, I wasn’t a fan of anyone invading my quiet trails. However, I’ve watched groups having the time of their lives. This year is the year for me.
4. Hang out downtown Take a winery tour, ride the pedal-PUB, hang out at one of the many parks, enjoy world class cuisine, take in a performance at the Artsgarden, or sit and watch the world go by on Monument Circle.
3. The Indiana State Fair is a family affair. This year it’s August 7-23. I can hardly wait for fair food, meat on a stick, and fried things that I’ve never seen fried before. There are rides, exhibits, and shows to fit everyone’s tastes.
2. Have great fun at the Fringe. This is one of my favorites. For the last couple of years, I’ve been privileged to write performance reviews for Indy Fringe. I’ve seen more than 50 incredible performances and met hundreds of performers. This year it runs from August 18 through August 28. If you see me on Mass Ave during the event, please stop and say hello.
And the Number one answer is…drum role, please…
The 100th running of the Indianapolis 500. I’ve attended more than 30 races. I’ve watched photo finishes from the suites, held onto the fence in the snake pit, and sat with family and friends at the top of Turn 3 with chart and pen in hand. But this year is special, did I mention it’s the 100th running? Enough said. For more info and tickets go to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.com
What’s you top ten?
There you have it my ten out of 1,000 great things to do in Indy this summer. What did I leave out? What are your top ten?